Friday, April 3, 2009

Haarlem & The Hiding Place


A couple of weeks ago, I went to Haarlem in the Netherlands with a book club from our ward. I was the youngest one with 4 other women/mothers and felt a little out of place, but still had a great time. We had just finished reading "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom. We took a tour of the ten Boom's house and saw the real hiding place. It was a really neat experience being in that little house with a Dutch woman telling us about the family who made their home a place of refuge and comfort for so many people. I enjoyed the book and the private little tour a lot. I think that we can all learn something from the mission and faith of Corrie ten Boom. Here are some pictures.


The bottom shelf would open up and that is where the entrance to the hiding place was. The wall is knocked out so you can see inside. 6 people were in hiding there for 4 days without food or water, survived and were never found by the Gestapo.


This is for Brett and his love of windmills.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

wow, that's really cool. I read that book a couple of years ago. That's so cool that's you're getting to travel to so many places!

Brett said...

Mal, thanks so much for thinking of me. You are so sweet. I love you!

Jenna Marie said...

That's so awesome that you are able to see places like this. These kind of places truly intrigue me! Someday... :)

I'm so excited that you're coming home in just two weeks!! Will you be coming into St. George soon after at all?