Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Netherlands

We went to the Netherlands last weekend. We started out in The Hague and went to the LDS temple, then went to Amsterdam. The temple was beautiful and it was such a good experience.


It was raining in The Hague, but very beautiful. The temple was the smallest one we've seen.





Some views of the canals in Amsterdam. We took a canal cruise and saw a lot of the city. It was beautiful.



We went to the Anne Frank house or the "Secret Annex" where the Franks were in hiding. It was very moving to see what it was like and what they lived in for so long. Please read this book if you haven't already.


"When I write I can shake off all my cares. My sorrow disappears, my spirits are revived...I hope I will be able to confide everything to you, as I have never been able to confide in anyone, and I hope you will be a great source of comfort and support." (1942)

"One day this terrible war will be over. The time will come when we'll be people again and not just Jews! We can never be just Dutch, or just English, or whatever, we will always be Jews as well. But then, we'll want to be." (April 9, 1944)




We also went to the Van Gogh museum. We saw over 100 of his paintings, including The Starry Night. It was really awesome.



Brett eating his favorite food: frites.
They were some of the best ones
we've had yet in Europe. The place was called Mannekin Pis :)

No comments: